Venue (Vanderbilt University)
SMARTCOMP 2023 will be held at Vanderbilt University, a gorgeous 330-acre campus located in Nashville, Tennessee and hosted by Vanderbilt University Institute for Software Integrated Systems, a major research organization at Vanderbilt that conducts research in cyber-physical systems, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and smart and connected communities. Majority of the events will be located in the Featheringill/Jacobs Hall (FGH). FGH was opened in 2002 and features the three-story Adams Atrium designed to be a focal point for student interaction and social events. Just off the Adams Atrium is the Jacobs Believed In Me Auditorium, which serves the engineering community as a central location for lectures, large meetings and classes. Featheringill Hall totals 83,845 sq ft, containing more than 50 teaching and research laboratories. The reception event will be held at the Engineering Science Building.
Feathering Hill Hall (Location of Main Events).
Engineering Science Building (Reception Event).
Institute for Software Integrated Systems (Host of the Event).
Banquet (June 28, 2023)
The conference banquet will be held on the evening of June 28th at Nashville's famous Country Music Hall of Fame. The banquet includes access to tour the museum. Located in downtown Nashville, it has been called the "Smithsonian of country music", celebrated for its broad cultural impact, educational mission, and unrivaled collection of historically important artifacts related to country music. The Museum encompasses 350,000 square feet of exhibition galleries, archival storage, retail stores, and event space. Learn more about the museum by visiting Country Music Hall Of Fame Website.
Country Music Hall of Fame Logo
Country Music Hall of Fame building
Country Music Hall of Fame Rotunda
Country Music Hall of Fame banquet area
City (Nashville, TN)
You won't find a city more accommodating, authentic, and accessible than Nashville. We have plenty of rooms, a state-of-the-art convention center, music scene that is second to none, rockstar chefs, and so much more to offer the perfect collaboration of business and pleasure. Read more about Nashville
Below is a list of attractions. Most are a short distance from the University Campus and are accessible through public transit or short Uber Ride or Walking.
1. Country Music Hall of Fame (Site of Smartcomp 2023 banquet.)
Museum that preserves the history of country music.
2. Nashville Schermerhorn Symphony
Nashville’s symphony, established in 1946, is one of Tennessee’s largest and longest-running non-profit performing arts organization.
World-famous performance hall with a lot of historical significance. Includes a museum.
Music museum featuring a comprehensive collection of Johnny Cash artifacts and memorablia.
The 2018 Presidents Cup Winner Nashville Predators Ice Hockey team plays here.
6. Broadway Street
All of the activity and night life. Several restaurants and souvenir shops are along this street.
7. Riverfront park (close to university)
Go for a leisurely stroll along Nashville’s Cumberland river and view some historical artifacts.
Frist Art Museum is a world class art museum and gallery. Current and upcoming exhibitions are listed here.
9. Tennessee Titans’ Nissan Stadium
The Titans, which is Tennessee’s Nashville-based NFL (American football) team plays their home games at this stadium. The stadium is on the other side of the Cumberland river and can be reached by the Shelby pedestrian bridge.
10. Centennial Park
Centennial Park is one of Nashville’s premier parks. It is located along West End avenue across from the Vanderbilt University campus. It hosts the world-famous, full-sized replica of the original Greek Parthenon.
11. Bicentennial Capitol Mall Park (Has a farmers market)
Provides a history of the state of Tennessee. The state Capitol building is adjacent to the park. Located approximately 1.5 miles from the univeristy
12. Opryland Hotel and Resort, Opry Mills Outlet Mall, Grand Ole Opry, and General Jackson Showboat (11 miles to the northeast of Nashville downtown).
Enjoy the beautiful resort tour, a boat tour at the Opryland Hotel and Resort. Visit the world famous Grand Ole Opry or take a cruise on the Cumberland river in the Jackson boat.
The Adventure Science Center is Nashville’s science center where kids can enjoy many scientific exhibits. It hosts the Sudekum planetarium. The historic Fort Negley is located adjacent to the science center.
14. Nashville Zoo
Opened in 1991, Nashville’s zoo provides a dynamic zoological park.
15. Cheekwood Botanical Gardens
A 1930’s estate located on 55 acres provides Nashville’s botanical garden, a woodland sculpture trail and an art museum. Located about 10 miles southwest of downtown.
16. Percy and Edwin Warner Parks (15 miles southwest of downtown; within the city limits)
17. Jack Daniels Distillery (72 miles southeast of Nashville)
World famous whiskey distillery along with tours.
18. Smoky Mountains National Park (190 miles to the east of Nashville)
World famous and most-visited National Park of the US. Camping, renting of chalets, etc. available.
Nashville is serviced by a major international airport BNA. The newly renovated building is home to major carriers with non-stop services to major domestic markets. The city is also connected directly via British Air to London via regular flights. In addition, there are three major interstates I-40, I-24 and I-65, providing direct connectivity for road transportation. More information about travel directions is available at VisitMusicCity.com.
Getting to the Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University Featheringill Hall, 400 24th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37212
There are several ways to travel from the Nashville International Airport to your final destination. Below is a list of some of the most common options. All transportation options listed depart from the Ground Transportation Center. To get to the center, exit the main terminal on Level 1 of the airport. Turn right, and follow the signs that say "Ground Transportation."
Ride Share Apps
Estimated cost from BNA to Vanderbilt area: $24- $27 (not including tips)
This is one of the most common ways to get from the airport to your final destination. Lyft and Uber are the two ride share apps that service the Nashville airport. To use this option, you must have all of the following:
- Smartphone with a working U.S. number (you are welcome to use one of the free SIM cards included with your I-20/DS-2019 package for this purpose!)
- Uber and/or Lyft app downloaded to your smartphone (you can download either app for free from the AppleStore and PlayStore)
- Credit or debit card from a major bank
In the Ground Transportation Center, look for signs that say "Ride App Pickup." There are 3 zones: A, B, and C. Lyft picks up from Zone A, and Uber picks up from Zones B and C. Both apps require you to provide the address of your final destination, so make sure that you know that when you request a ride. You will see the estimated fare before you accept the ride. You will receive information about your driver and the driver's car, as well as an estimated arrival time, once your request is confirmed.
Also, drivers may leave (and you may be charged a cancellation fee) if they are left waiting, so make sure to wait until you have your bags and are at the Ground Transportation Center before requesting your ride.
After the ride is over, you will be asked if you want to tip your driver. It is customary to give a tip, especially if the service was good.
Note: Both Uber and Lyft raise their prices during periods of high demand. Expect to pay more if you are requesting a ride on a Friday or Saturday night! In some cases, it may actually be cheaper to take a taxi.
Cost from BNA to Downtown Nashville: $2
Nashville has a public bus system, called WeGo Public Transit. The buses run from approximately 5am to midnight on weekdays, with reduced hours on weekends and public holidays. Buses are not as frequent as ones you might find in a larger metropolitan area, so you may have to wait before the next bus arrives.
Bus Line 18 runs from the airport to the central bus station in downtown Nashville. Take the bus to the very last stop on the route. From there, you can transfer to other bus lines serving the metropolitan Nashville area. (Lines 3 and 7 have stops along the Vanderbilt campus.) For a complete schedule of Line 18 and all other bus routes in the WeGo system, please consult this link: https://www.nashvillemta.org/Nashville-MTA-Maps-and-Schedules.asp. Depending on where you are going (and the time of day), it may be more convenient to take a Lyft or Uber from the bus station to your final destination.
The bus departs the airport from the Ground Transportation Center. Follow the signs that say "Shuttles/Buses." The WeGo buses indicate the bus line on the front of the bus.
The current bus fares are posted on the WeGo website: https://www.nashvillemta.org/Nashville-MTA-bus-fares.asp. Please carry exact change, as bus drivers do not give change.
Note: Once you have arrived on campus and have gotten your Commodore ID, you can use that card to ride the bus for free!
Estimated cost from BNA to Vanderbilt area: $30 (not including tips)
Various shuttle services are available to take you from the airport to some locations in Nashville. Shuttles depart from the Ground Transportation Center; follow the signs that say "Shuttles/Buses."
A few shuttle services - such as Nashville Express Airport Shuttle and CitiValet - will provide transportation directly to your final destination (so make sure that you know the address). Some companies have cancellation policies, so make sure that you are familiar with the policy before you arrange the ride. Because flights can be unpredictable, it may be safer to wait until you have arrived in Nashville to book the ride. Depending on the company, you may schedule a ride by phone or online. (The Information Desk, located in the baggage claim area of the airport, has a phone that you can use to make calls within the Nashville area.)
Here is a link to the shuttle companies that serve the airport: https://www.flynashville.com/ground-transportation/Pages/buses-and-commercial-shuttles.aspx. Fares may vary depending on the company and the number of passengers. It is customary to give the driver a tip ($5 - $10 depending on the length of the ride, plus $1 per bag if the driver helps you with your luggage).
Some Nashville hotels (especially ones in the downtown area) offer an airport shuttle; often, this service is complimentary. If you are staying in a hotel, it may be worth checking with the hotel to see if they offer such a service.
Estimated cost from BNA to Vanderbilt area: $27 (not including tips)
Taxis tend to be more expensive than some of the other transportation options, but they may be convenient if you cannot use a ride share app. Taxis are located in the Ground Transportation Center; follow the signs that say "Taxis/Limo." You may either call a taxi in advance from the airport Information Desk, or you can request a taxi in the taxi area.
The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County sets the taxi rates. There is a flat rate of $25 (plus $1 per extra passenger) to/from the airport to Downtown Nashville and to the Opryland area. Taxi companies and estimated fares are listed on this website: https://www.flynashville.com/ground-transportation/Pages/taxis.aspx.
Most taxis will accept either cash payment or a major credit card, but it is helpful to ask in advance to avoid any surprises later on. It is customary to give the driver a tip (15 - 20% of the fare).
Home2 Suites Room Block
We have a room block reserved at Home2 Suites by Hilton Nashville Vanderbilt, TN for June 25, 2023 through June 30, 2023. Book a Room by May 30, 2023 via the following link to receive SmartComp's preferred rate.
Hampton Inn Room Block
We also have a room block reserved for June 25, 2023 through June 30, 2023 with special rates at Hampton Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt. This rate is available until May 30 - or until the room block sells out, whichever comes first.
Other Hotels Near Vanderbilt University
- Aloft Nashville West End (615) 329-4200
- Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End (615) 327-9900
- Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Nashville(615) 256-0900
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nashville Downtown (615) 244-8200
- Element Nashville Vanderbilt Near West End (615) 320-8400
- Embassy Suites Nashville(615) 320-8899
- Graduate Nashville (615) 551-2700
- Grand Hyatt Nashville (615) 622-1234
- Hampton Inn and Suites (615) 320-6060
- Hampton Inn Vanderbilt(615) 329-1144
- Hilton Garden Inn (615) 369-5900
- Holiday Inn Express (615) 244-0150
- Holiday Inn-Vanderbilt (615) 321-8259
- Home 2 Suites by Hilton(615) 254-2170
- Homewood Suites (615) 340-8000
- Hotel Indigo (615) 329-4200
- Hutton Hotel (615) 340-9333
- Hyatt House Nashville at Vanderbilt (615) 320-9000
- Kimpton Aertson Hotel (615) 340-6376
- Loews Vanderbilt Hotel (615) 320-1700
- Mason Lofts (615) 712-7166
- Marriott at Vanderbilt University (615) 321-1300
- Renaissance Nashville (615) 255-8400
- Residence Inn Nashville Vanderbilt/West End (615) 988-9920
- Sheraton Hotel (615) 259-2000
- Spring Hill Suites Nashville/West End (615) 988-9930
- The Hayes Street Hotel (615) 320-0110
- The Joseph Nashville (615) 248-1990
- Virgin Hotels Nashville (615) 416-6563
Vanderbilt University Visitor Discounts
- Enjoy a 20% discount at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel click here
- Enjoy a 20% discount at Virgin Hotel Nashville click here
- Enjoy 15% off your stay at Hayes Street Hotel click here Also, enjoy 20% off Food and Beverage
- To learn more about receiving 15% off your stay at Homewood Suites by Hilton please visit click here.
- Enjoy a 15% discount at Holiday Inn-Vanderbilt click here
- Take 15% off your stay and 50% off your parking at Staybridge Suites Nashville-Midtown click here
- Enjoy 15% of your stay at Element Nashville Vanderbilt Near West End here
- Enjoy a 10% discount and complimentary parking at Grand Hyatt Nashville click here
- For a discount at JW Marriott, use the code VBU when reserving online at this link or call 1-888-236-2427 to ask for Vanderbilt University special rate.*book directly through the website*